conditionals in Makefiles

I am trying to make a block of my package Makefile conditional on the OPSYS,
like so...

.if ${OPSYS} == "SunOS"
# do stuff....
.endif

...but when I bmake, it says ''Malformed conditional (${OPSYS} == "SunOS")''
and ''Need an operator''.  However, plenty of other package Makefiles are doing
this, so I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Tim