RE: lcdproc

On Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:17 PM, Greg Troxel
<mailto:gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
scribbled:
> Answering the "should lcdproc be split" question: there is no PLIST
> wip/lcdproc, so it's hard to tell.  Generally, 4 packages instead of 1
> is worse because there is more maintenance grief and user grief.  But,
> it's good to be able to install parts if installing all would be
> burdensome.  If there is a single 1K shell script in client and
> server, and a common program in -common, there's no point.  If the
> client is small, and there's some huge server, and you think a
> non-trivial number of people would want only the client, then there's
> a reason.  amanda is a good example, because most systems only install
> the client.

The server isn't huge, but a typical use of the software is to have clients
running on machines that don't have an LCD, displaying to the server machine
that does.  It would be nice to be able to build only the clients.

I asked on the lcdproc list about an option/target to build only the clients
or server, and it (make targets) got added.  It's entirely possible that I
could port that patch to the 0.5.2 version I'm trying to package, which
would suffice until the next release.  My question is, how do I expose this
to the package?  Is it possible?

Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!