wip/foo2zjs: license concerns

Hi

I recently committed wip/foo2zjs, a foomatic filter for printers using
the ZjStream protocol (several laserprinters of several manufacturers,
including some low-end HP laserjets). The source is GPLv2, so that
shouldn't be an issue.

However, several of these printers require firmware to be uploaded
each time they're turned on.  Although having something like Linux'
hotplug would make life a lot easier, uploading this firmware is as
simple as sending the right file to the printer device. The challenge
is obtaining these firmware files.

The package includes a script to fetch these firmware files from the
internet, and this is where I think the problem lies: said script
downloads most of them from the author's website, and by doing so he
probably violates their copyright. Most of them seem to stem from
Windows drivers, which can usually be downloaded from the respective
website, but not without first agreeing to shrinkwrapped EULA's. In
case of HP firmwares, this EULA is very clear about redistributing
firmware: "You do not have the right to distribute the HP software".
All the author does to address this is acknowledging the copyright in
a file titled 'COPYING', but that's not going to do it.

Right now, wip/foo2zjs includes no firmwares, and points this out in a
MESSAGE. Shall I just leave it at that, should I include a pointer, or
am I seeing problems where there aren't any? Trying to contact the
author is hopeless, considering his overly hostile attitude towards
packaging software, and statements about not reading mail from people
who haven't submitted patches or donated money..

--
Martijn van Buul, martijn.van.buul%gmail.com@localhost