Re: CVS commit: wip/packman

> > Can it use pkg_summary(5) files (available with many package repos) to do
> > binary-only package management?
>
> No, can you elaborate a bit ? I have no idea what package repos you are
> talking about, but I may have time these weeks to write something like this.

First look at the pkg_summary manual page.

The FTP download sites should have pkg_summary.gz files in the All/
directories. (There are some missing pkg_summary.gz files as discussed on
pkgsrc-users@ list. If you need one and it is missing, please complain.)

So basically something like this:

- Add option or argument to fetch the pkg_summary.gz file that corresponds
to what operating system, version, and desired pkgsrc branch you have
installed (or want to go to).

- Compare your installed packages against the downloaded pkg_summary data
(also use your "want" and "freeze" in this comparison).

- If updates are noticed, then check dependencies too (if you want) by
looking in pkg_summary data.

* Note: don't just update a dependency because a newer version is
available, but only if the dependency update is required (this data is in
the pkg_summary data). You could make that an option for your tool to
update dependencies to latest package version also.

- Build an ordered list of packages with any needed dependencies needed to
do the update.

- Double-check that all dependencies are available by checking the
pkg_summary file.

- Double-check conflicts/compatibilities with any packages and needed
dependencies with what is currently installed and what you plan to
install.

- Download just the needed packages and store in some packages directory.
(Maybe your tool could have feature to remove older files versions --
maybe keep one old.)

- If download is successful, then deinstall and install in order. You may
also want to use pkg_add -u or pkg_add -uu as appropriate.

> > By the way, I think there are two projects called "packman" for package
> > management and I think there is a "pacman" (not the game) for package
> > management.
> >

> Yeah, I wasn't very impressed myself with this name but this is what I typed
> after vi. First time I didn't have in mind to release it but I've seen
> several other people looking for 'wip/pkgmanager without clisp'. Maybe I'll
> change it. Any suggestions ? :)

I will have to think about that. Maybe someone else here can provide a
suggestion...

  Jeremy C. Reed