Re: pkglint warning: XXX should not be evaluated at load time

Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>>Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>
>  >> Can anybody explain what does this pkglint warning mean
>  >> and how to fix it?
>  >> --------------     wip/libmaa     -----------------
>  >> WARN: Makefile:27: EXTRA_DOC_FILES should not be evaluated at load time.
>  >> 0 errors and 1 warnings found.
>

>>Have you tried "pkglint --explain --source -Wall"?
>
> No. I read it and it's cool.
>
> Changing this section to
> post-install:
>       set -e; \
>       for i in $${EXTRA_DOC_FILES}; do \
>               ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/"$${i}" ${PKGDOCDIR}; \
>       done
>
> helps but I still don't understand what's wrong with my original variant
> with .for/.endfor
>
> All assignments to EXTRA_DOC_FILES are above the point this variable
> is really used. So, what's wrong?

There's nothing wrong in your case. For the general case, pkglint cannot
tell whether the variable gets modified somewhere else, so it prints a
warning. After all, the -Wall option enables really many warnings,
including some that are experimental or really only meant no point you
to problems that might occur under special circumstances.

So when your package passes pkglint without the -Wall option, usually
everything is fine.

Roland