Re: BUILD_DEPENDS

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:32:37PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >> Can anybody explain me how I can use BUILD_DEPENDS?  Should I always
 >> prefer pkgsrc variants of software or it is better to add new
 >> requirements to BUILD_DEPENDS if a required programs/libraries/etc
 >> is not in the base system (different BSDs, Solaris, Interix, ...)?

> What exactly do you want to depend on? The rules normally are:
> (a) use USE_TOOLS if possible
>From documentation I didn't understand what kind of software
can be mentioned in USE_TOOLS?
autoconf, gmake? Fine.
What about
USE_TOOLS += I_am_the_only_person_who_knows_about_this_rarely_used_tool?
I.e. how many tools (and what exactly) can be mentioned in USE_TOOLS?

> (b) mark all tools, esp. msgfmt and friends as needed
What do you think about this?
.if ${OPSYS} != "NetBSD" # I know zlib is in NetBSD base system
.include "../../devel/zlib/buildlink3.mk"
.endif

Is this good or it is always better to remove checks for a system?
What if required software is not in pkgsrc yet but I know exactly that
it is in base system (NetBSD and libbz2, for example)?

> (c) mark all dependencies on libraries, even if they might exist
> natively. buildlink3 should take care of deciding that.
PREFER_PKGSRC/PREFER_NATIVE?
See above about libbz2.

> (d) avoid included versions esp. of "dangerous" libraries, prefer
> external dependencies
Do you mean = only, or >= and > too?
What are "external dependencies"?
audit-packages?