Re: CVS commit: wip/gDesklets

On Jan 18, 2006, at 2:52 PM, joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost wrote:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 07:47:16AM -0800, Min Sik Kim wrote:
Do not depend on wip/libXau since NetBSD is now shipped with
libXau.so.
Needs conditionals for other platforms.

builtin.mk comes to mind...

Thanks for suggestion, but this case is more complicated than the
current builtin.mk can handle.  Since this package needs the shared
library of libXau, it needs to tell platforms with libXau.a only from
those with libXau.so.

You mean more complicated than checking for the existance of libXau.so.*
in X11BASE/lib?

Most packages don't care whether the platform has libXau.so or libXau.a as far as either of them is available. And I don't think pkgsrc should force to install wip/libXau in that case. So we have three cases: libXau is not available at all, libXau.a is available but libXau.so is not, and both libXau.a and libXau.so are available. To tell these cases, IS_BUILTIN.* should be able to have a value other than yes or no. But even if we allow that, I still don't like installing wip/libXau since the xlibs project is not maintained any more. Maybe we should wait for modular X.org.

May also ask why this is needed at all? What does the
package do with libXau that it needs a shared version?

Don't know why. I haven't run gDesklet for a long time, but IIRC, other desklet packages didn't appear on the screen if gDesklet was built without libXau.so.

Regards,
Min Sik Kim