Re: CVS commit: wip/smc

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 04:15:51PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Hernani Marques Madeira wrote:
>
> > Initial import of smc
> >

> > Secret Maryo Chronicles is a 2D Jump&Run Game built upon SDL, which has some
> > similarity to Super Mario (World). It features the following:
>
> I haven't played it yet, but how does this compare with SuperTux
> (pkgsrc/wip/supertux)?

The handling is much more like in Super Mario World (SNES); Gamepad works,
btw. Gravition is being nicer for me in SMC, for me ;).

Scrollback support is given, so you can walk backwards in contrast to SuperTux.

The levels have bigger differences between each other (especially in how they
look) than in SuperTux.

The Game In-Level editor has to be pointed out: by pressing F8 while you
are playing, you can start to drag and drop boxes, enemies and other 'elements'
around, add more of them (from a list) to the current viewable level area or
remove/displace existing ones

I like SMC more than SuperTux, although this may have both, nostalgic and
idealistisch reasons, too -- in addition to the points stated.

Well, but there's a dark side, too. The configure and install parts suck at
large as it may be obvious and it's not really done with UN*X derivates in
mind -- no ~/.smc -- you have to grant write access to some parts in
$PREFIX, e.g. for game saving, for level-editing & saving, but also for
changes in the option's menu to take effect ...

--
hernani