pkgsrc-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: Promote wip QGIS 4.2 to replace 3.x?



Jim Spath <jspath55%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have been using the QGIS 4 series from the wip directory on and off
> for months, and am pleased with the version, stability and features of
> interest to me. I only have 1 stumbling block as I could create a
> local authentication store in an early release but cannot now; I can
> connect to databases individually as a workaround.
>
> What is the process to replace the current pkgsrc qgis version with
> the one in wip? I noticed today there are point releases for 3 and 4
> -- "Linux, Windows and Mac packages of #QGIS  point releases 3.44.15
> "Solothurn" (LTR) and 4.2.3 "Belém do Pará" ready on https://
> qgis.org. Make maps not war".

It is unfortunate that upstream touts binaries and doesn't mention
source releases....

The process is the the maintainer decides that it's time :-)  And I have
not decided that.  There's a note at geography/gqis/Makefile asking that
people not update to new branches, and that it intends to track LTR.

In this case, upstream has not declared that 4.2 is "LTR" because of
stability concerns.  Uptstream does not recommend to random users who
wish to use qgis to et work done to use 4.2; they continue to recommend
3.44.x.   Upstream recently revised their plan to declare 4.2 LTR and
now they are talking about 4.4.

pkgsrc doctrine is to hand users the version they would choose if they
are a normal useer that doesn't want to deal with grief and they had the
time and skills to evaluate.  I continue to beliee that is 3.44.x.

I have contemplated having qgis and qgis-ltr, but so far there seem to
be zero people that really want that.   In effect we have that as
wip/qgis and geography/qgis anyway.

I am also observing the authentication provider bug that you see.  There
are also some perhaps-missing qt6 libraries; see the comments in
wip/qis/Makefile.

In your case, you are building from wip ok, and I wonder if doing that,
instead of having the bits in wip in geography/qigs, is causing you any
real problems? 


It's great that you  are testing and that it works for you.  Please do
let me know of any further issues.

(I am due to micro-bump both packages after last Friday's point
releases.)


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index