Re: abysmal check-portability speed

On Fri, 27 Sep 2024, Edgar Fuß wrote:

>> +			eval 'firstline=${firstline%%"$nl"*}'
>Why eval?

I’ve recently had a shell choke on ${foo#bar} even in a
not-taken code path. IIRC that was BOW (BSD-on-Windows).
I’m not sure how many shells are the concerns of that
script, but given it includes Slowlartus, I’ve opted on
the side of careful.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of