Open source Spotify clients

Hi all,

Just an heads-up as we approach branching.

As of end of July 2024, Spotify has removed username & password authentication from API through Mercury/Hermes.
This causes any new installations of any open source client to fail with "Login failed with reason: Bad credentials".

This is a known issue and being worked on but, we need a new release of 'librespot' with the fix included.
For now, a work around is to use https://github.com/dspearson/librespot-auth to generate a credentials.json via Spotify's zeroconf authentication.
This needs one to have access to the official Spotify app on one of the supported platforms; Windows, MacOS or, GNU/Linux to be able to use Spotify connect output device.

So, if you are using one of the open source clients that I maintain, make sure you save your cached credentials and avoid being locked-out in the near future.

I'm still hopeful that 'librespot' will push a new release but, all available clients will need to incorporate that. This is not realistic in the time that is left before branching.

For further info see, https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot/pull/1309