CFLAGS vs COPTS in mk.conf for pkgsrc compiling

Hello,

I am a bit confused with this, I am a learning newby. I am trying to compile a pkgsrc program with debugging symbols in my Raspberrypi4. I choosed emulators/dosbox just to learn how it works.

I started reading mk.conf page to see what variables could be tuned:

COPTS          Extra options for the C compiler.  Should be appended to
               (e.g., COPTS+=-g), rather than explicitly set.  Note
that CPUFLAGS, not COPTS, should be used for compiler flags
          that select CPU-related options.

Last sentence says:

"Also note that CFLAGS should never be set in mk.conf."

so I used COPTS instead of CFLAGS

netbsd-raspa4# cat /etc/mk.conf

COPTS+= -g
INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED= yes
MAKE_JOBS+= 4

did not make any effect in compilation for passing the "-g" flag.

netbsd-raspa4# cat /etc/mk.conf

CFLAGS+= -g
INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED= yes
MAKE_JOBS+= 4