Re: rust - volunteers sought...

On Thursday, May 16th, 2024 at 12:58 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> It's unfortunate that the rust compiler has so many problems.
>
> I wonder if we are arriving at having versioned rust packages, so that
>
> - you can add the new one when it works for amd64
>
> - we can have basically a switch statement based on os/version/cpu

I used to be against the idea of versioning but, I start to think it might not be such a bad suggestion.

The major issue I see with this is that a lot of projects tend to follow Rust upstream to access new features.
I already have two patches to force packages to use 1.76 instead of 1.77.2

Another problem, is that soon 'edition = 2024' will be out which, basically will mean that any project using it, will require Rust-1.7x.
Where 'x' will be the stable version at the time of introduction of 'edition'.

So, if we are versioning, I think it would be good with a 'list of packages' expected to build on a 'list of platforms'.

Regards,
Pedro