Re: Heads up - qbittorrent fails if compiled with qt6 - OK with qt5

Dave Tyson <dtyson%anduin.org.uk@localhost> writes:

> Using NetBSD-10 and pkgsrc_2024Q1 I compiled qbittorrent with the
> default setting of qt6. Running the resultant binary and accepting the
> legal notice results in a core dump and the message:
>
>  _res is not supported for multi-threaded programs.
>
> Cleaning and rebuilding with the qt5 option provides a working package.
> I am not sure if
> is an issue with the qt6* packages dragging in the wrong resolver...

Speculating wildly from weak memory, I would guess that perhaps

  there is variable _res in older resolver code, that users can poke to
  set things, and the standard approach now is not to use it

  the qbittorrent code uses _res the old way

  qbittorrent doesn't end up linking with pthreads when built with qt5

  using qt6 does end up linking with pthreads.

Speculation B is that there's an ifdef in qtbitorrent.

I would suggest

  review the commit history of qtbitorrent and see when the option
  changed

  write to the person that changed it and see how your environment
  differs from the environment where they tested the change before
  committing it

  reading the upstream build instructions for qbitorrent to see what
  they say