Re: Switching default version of PHP/RUBY and retirement...

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 at 23:02, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> taca at NetBSD.org <taca%back-street.net@localhost> writes:
>
> > I'll switch default version of PHP and Ruby:
> >
> >       PHP_VERSION_DEFAULT     82
> >       RUBY_VERSION_DEFAULT    32
>
> no objections to that.
>
> > Also, retire obsolete PHP, php80 first and hopefully php74 (and php56)
> > since there are many unmaintained PHP based pacakges...
>
> Recursive removals in the past have gone badly, almost always much more
> so than the person proposing them expected.  unmaintained is not
> entirely the point; it's about users and what is withdrawn vs the
> maintenance cost.
>
> My understanding is that there is nothing that needs php80, in that
> every package that works with 8.0 will work with 8.1.  So that seems
> fine.

There are some non packaged apps which only support 8.0 and not 8.1,
so it *may* be worth holding off on dropping 8.0 for a little while
longer unless its a real win in saving maintenance effort

https://www.mautic.org/blog/community/mautic-4-4-0-support-php-8-0

Mautic 5 supports 8.0 and 8.1, but it has only been out a few weeks
and the upgrade process is an utter sh/tshow.

Thanks

David