Re: pkg options inheritance

Not sure if this is related to my prior observation, the situation is similar. This is on amd_64.

For a pkgsrc-2023Q4 bootstrap in a new prefix, PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+= -x11 was already set in mk.conf, and a neomutt build failed because the graphviz dependency is missing X11. In this case, PKG_OPTIONS.graphviz+= -x11 does not resolve the "bmake clean clean-depends package" build, indeed, the x11 option is not even set, yet PKG_FAIL_REASON per below.

What could be causing this?

-George

ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: graphviz-8.1.0nb7 uses X11, but /usr/X11R7 not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /nfs-pkg/pkgsrc-release/graphics/graphviz
srv-63b7# bmake show-options
Any of the following general options may be selected:
        gd       Use GD to render graphical output.
        ghostscript      Enable GhostScript support.
        gtk      Enable support for GTK.
        lua      Enable Lua support.
        perl     Enable Perl support.
        poppler  Enable poppler-utils support.
        svg      Enable SVG support.
        tcl      Enable Tcl scripting support.
        x11      Enable X11 support.

These options are enabled by default:
        gd

These options are currently enabled:
        gd

You can select which build options to use by setting PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS
or PKG_OPTIONS.graphviz.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 1:56 PM Thomas Klausner <wiz%gatalith.at@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 01:22:32PM -0800, George Georgalis wrote:
> in any event, is PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS ignored by design when
> a package without options framework depends on one that does?

No. The variable is evaluated for each package separately.

You can do 'make show-options' for a package to show the default
status and what you currently selected. Perhaps that will help you
track down your problem.
 Thomas

--
George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710, http://www.galis.org/