Re: emacs29-nox with gnutls

Marko Bauhardt <marko.bauhardt%mailbox.org@localhost> writes:

> I followed the steps described here http://gnats.netbsd.org/56916
>
> - added `EMACS_TYPE=emacs29nox` to pkg/etc/mk.conf
> - added `CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-gnutls`
>
> and installed `security/gnutls`.
> configure: WARNING: Unable to locate a usable pkg-config
> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>      gnutls
> Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
> To build anyway, give:
>      --with-gnutls=ifavailable
> as options to configure.

pkgsrc has a "buildlink" framework that intends to hide things that are
not declared dependencies.  It appears to be working correctly in this
case, even though it's not what you want.

Read options.mk in editors/emacs29 and you'll find

.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mgnutls)
.include "../../security/gnutls/buildlink3.mk"
.include "../../security/p11-kit/buildlink3.mk"
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --without-gnutls
.endif

so that's what you need to add, most likely.

Now, it's an interesting question if emacs-nox11 should include, or have
an option to include gnutls.  The idea of the -nox11 packages is not to
have the dependency footprint of GUI libs.  TLS is different, and useful
in command-line emacs.

This question is however out of order for changes during freeze.

I suggest you experiment and if it works and you want to suggest
bringing in gnutls to the nox11 packages for post-branch, feel free.
I'm not sure how I feel and I certainly don't know how everybody else
sees it!