Re: python fails with nis.so missing error

Am 01.12.23 um 13:15 schrieb Greg Troxel:
Ede Wolf <listac%nebelschwaden.de@localhost> writes:

Not sure if there is any relation, I did rebuild world with: MKYP=no -
but I am having troubles believing, that python really relies on nis?

You should believe!

$ /usr/pkgsrc/lang/python311 > egrep nis *
Makefile:PLIST_VARS+=   dbm nis
Makefile:PLIST.nis=     yes
PLIST:${PLIST.nis}lib/python${PY_VER_SUFFIX}/lib-dynload/nis.so
PLIST:lib/python${PY_VER_SUFFIX}/test/test_nis.py
PLIST:lib/python${PY_VER_SUFFIX}/test/test_nis.pyc
PLIST:lib/python${PY_VER_SUFFIX}/test/test_nis.pyo

Read Makefile, and note that it looks for the yp headers.  If you are
installing a non-MKYP build and leave the headers, you are in an
inconsistent state

In general, when you depart from the defaults, you bit off a greater
likelihood of trouble.

=> Generating post-install file lists
pkg_create: can't stat
`/import/build/pkgobj/lang/python311/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/nis.so'
=> Checking file-check results for python311-3.11.6nb4
ERROR: ************************************************************
ERROR: The following files are in the PLIST but not in
/import/build/pkgobj/lang/python311/work/.destdir/usr/pkg:
ERROR:
/import/build/pkgobj/lang/python311/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/nis.so
*** Error code 1

(BTW, your MUA appears to have wrapped this output, which is a bug.)

It looks like Makefile decided in favor of NIS but python chose not to
build it.

Thanks very much for the lecture! I've removed the entries from PLIST and Makefile and it build again. So far the software that depends on python seems to work as well. I am however prepared, as I really have no clue on what I have actually done.

Did really not expect this, since the majority of systems that python probably runs on have never seen any nis libraries and configure should figure out, what is there to build against and what not, but obviously the whole makefile thingy is still a bit uncharted territory for me.

I do not know though, wether I will open a bug report with thunderbird. Or rather switch to claws. Habbit probably. But thanks for that feedback as well.