RE: EXT MAIL : Re: in-tree ssh update for netbsd-9

Got it thanks Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2023 8:18 AM
To: Derrick Lobo <derrick.lobo%givex.com@localhost>
Cc: pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: EXT MAIL : Re: in-tree ssh update for netbsd-9

Derrick Lobo <derrick.lobo%givex.com@localhost> writes:

> Will there be a openssh update for netbsd-9 , beta10 has the updates
> in current however given it's a beta system unable to push this on
> live devices

This is off topic for this list and belongs on netbsd-users@.

I don't follow unable; you are free to install it wherever you want :)

Generally, release branches get bugfixes and sometimes new drivers, but stability is valued over freshness.  I do not expect openssh to be pulled up,

netbsd-9 has:  OpenSSH_8.0 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20220604-hpn13v14-lpk, OpenSSL 1.1.1t  7 Feb 2023
netbsd-10 has: OpenSSH_9.3 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20230725-hpn13v14-lpk, OpenSSL 3.0.9 30 May 2023

Are you implying that there are security problems or serious usability problems with 8.0?  Or simply that you'd like newer.

> Have not used pkgsrc for openssh

This is actually on topic :-)

If you want newer openssh, why haven't you?  Using pkgsrc to install newer and using it instead is the standard approach for people that want newer thing than their base system has, for a vast number of cases.
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.