Re: option error in libreoffice?

Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> writes:

Projecting to the nullspace of java:

> I have in my /etc/mk.conf
>
>  	PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=           -kerberos -cups
>
> yet when I build the package, it still wants to build library
> print/libcups - is this correct/necessary?

My impression is that we used to be in a state where bringing in cups
was problematic because it added $prefix/bin/lpr and so on, and it was
huge.  This led to many packges growing -cups options, which was bad for
binary packages.

Then, someone very helpfully split cups into libcups and cups-base,
where the first is just a library and the second has most of it,
especially the shadowing programs.

So, there is little call for -cups now, compared to before, unless one
is really a hard-core cups hater.   But I'm not sure if I have that
right, and I'm pretty sure we have not had a coherent plan and adjusted
to it.

Is the presence or build-time of libcups causing problems (relative to
libreoffice :-), other than mild cognitive dissonance?

It could be that the new world order is:

  A) -cups option opts out of libcups

  B) normal (+cups) depends on libcups only, so the program can print to
  cups with fanciness if cups is (at runtime) present, and also behaves
  ok in a non-cups world

but I'm not sure that lines up with how programs actually work, or what
people want.