Re: Pkgin or pkg_install bug resulting in broken pkgsrc installation

> Was this using the pkgin from 2023Q2 or 2023Q3?  Q3's pkgin has a large number of fixes that cover pretty much all of the upgrade bugs I'm aware of, and so I'd always recommend installing pkgin first (e.g.  pkg_add -U pkgin pkg_install) before performing a full upgrade.

This was the pkgin from 2023Q2.

> That said are you sure the 2023Q3 binary package set is complete and consistent?  I don't think I've seen this failure before, and I know some of the NetBSD package set uploads are not as atomic as I would like them to be.

I assume it is, it’s the „aarch64/10.0_2023Q3“ set that I also used with two other machines.

> If this can be reproduced with pkgin 23.8.1 and against a consistent package repository then I'd certainly be interested in a bug report for it.

And I think I found what the issue is.

Restored from backup. As you described, I upgraded pkgin and pkg_install first, with „pkg_add -U“. Now „pkgin upgrade“ shows this conflict:

py311-cairo-1.24.0 (to be installed) conflicts with installed package py310-cairo-1.23.0nb1.

The older pkgin did not warn about this (or at least I don’t remember seeing this warning), so I assume that’s what broke during the upgrade. For now, I manually removed py310-cairo and hope for the best.

—
Benny