Re: libtool weirdness with "error: specify a tag with '--tag'"

On 10/2/23 01:46, Rhialto wrote:
I'm building with the new stable branch, and I'm starting pretty fresh
because one thing now needs gcc 12. So I deleted all packages from my
chroot.

Before I did that I had already errors like

--- fill.lo ---
libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
--- errno.lo ---
libtool:   error: specify a tag with '--tag'
*** [errno.lo] Error code 1

bmake[1]: stopped in /tmp/pkgsrc/devel/libelf/default/libelf-0.8.13/lib

in this case via the dependency chain

     devel/libelf
     graphics/MesaLib
     devel/SDL
     graphics/SDL_image

The weird thing is that if I suspend the build (I'm using pkgchkxx) and
go to devel/libelf; make clean; make, then it works!?

libtool-base was freshly built; I previously blamed the problems on that
(gcc10 had a minor upgrade but libtool was not updated)

There must be something creeping in, from the dependency chain, that
messes with libtool. How can otherwise a rebuild (even with make clean)
succeed the second time? Or does pkgchkxx do something weird to
contribute?

I just updated wip/pkgchkxx. Previously it was hardcoded to use devel/bmake to build packages, but now it uses whatever ${MAKE} was set to at the time when pkgchkxx was built. I hope it helps.