Re: gcc12 incompatible with ctfconvert?

* On 2023-10-02 at 20:05 BST, Rhialto wrote:

On Mon 02 Oct 2023 at 17:46:17 +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
The best solution would be to add proper CTF support for NetBSD.

Yes. But how would it be used? I see a few packages that have
CTF_SUPPORTED=no and some that have CTF_FILES_SKIP+=somefile.
That seems to be about pkgsrc doing something with CTF outside of the
knowledge of the upstream build system.

CTF support in pkgsrc:

 * Adds -gdwarf-2 via the wrappers to all compiler calls
 * runs ctfconvert on all suitable binaries after install
 * runs gstrip to remove non-CTF debug data

This way you get fully debuggable binaries without the bloat of DWARF or non-existent debug package support, and I've used it for many years in my illumos binary package sets.

But here, ctwm's CMakefiles call ctfconvert themselves. That seems
require a rather different CTF support.

I'd be inclined to disable that and leave it to pkgsrc to DTRT.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com