Re: topological sorting

Hello,

Le Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 09:01:35AM -0400, Greg Troxel a écrit :
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
>
>[...]
> > 3) To instruct to build and install (alternatively to add binary)
> > in reverse topological order (independant from others to be installed
> > first).
>
> I don't follow that.  Both "pkgin add" and "make package" do this.
>
> Note that there is no single "topological order".  There is only a set
> of installation orders which are topologically correct.

It seems to me that if a package depends on A, B, C, the building or
installation tries to build A, then B, then C. It doesn't try to see if
there are common dependencies to A, B and C and try to build the common dependencies
first, starting by the "most" common ones? It recurses by package?

My problem---some packages are quite complex so this is not criticism: I
know this is difficult, that there are too many variables and that the
upstream version is not always optimal; and I'm glad I don't have to
tackle the problem of building or installing some monsters on my own
;-)---so my problem is that more than once, I have been eaten by a build
that took hours, installing a bunch of intermediary dependencies, to
finally fail on something, meaning that a bunch of things have been
added that are useless and tons of bytes have been downloaded that will
be useless too since there are probably other versions that need to be
fetched in order for the build to succeed.

I'm trying to find a way to fail (if that has to fail) as early as possible
and with the minimum amount of work done...

And, alternatively, I want to know what package has installed/required
TeXlive (!) so this is why I wanted to know if the dependencies graph
could be obtained by one of the tools (even if I know how to do it by
scripting).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/