Re: gdk-pixbuf2 needs librsvg run time dependency

On Wed, 24 May 2023, Greg Troxel wrote:
You can check out pkgsrc 2023Q1 (assuming that's the binary packages you
are using which are built for 10) and build just that package from
source.  It is ok to mix source/binary.

Yes, I now. I've done that in the past.

Does gdk-pixbuf2 load the rsvg library dynamically, or is it linked in
at configure time?

Is this documented by gdk-pixbuf2?

Does gdk-pixbuf2 already depend on rust?  If not, this will result it in
not being available -- and a whole slew of depending packges -- not
being available on many platforms.  Or, it could drag in unmaintained
libsrvg-c, which would be a security problem.

Very likely gdk-pixbuf2 should have a rsvg option, and that perhaps
should be default on if the platform has rust.

I missed how things were. This is my last post about a PR in
pkgsrc-bugs:

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2023/05/24/msg072040.html

Yes, you are right. I'm sorry I got it wrong. I thought the
gdk-pixbuf2 had the svg loader, but it's in librsvg. I don't
understand why is it not in gdk-pixbuf2, like the rest. And that's
why librsvg depends on gdk-pixbuf2, and not the other way, like it
does already with jpg, png &c.  And all in the same proyect. Crazy
, crazy little gnome.

Librsvg has to be added to each package that uses svg icons. These
are some I tested when adding support for a Huion tablet:

inkscape
drawing
mypaint

People don't notice it because other applications like gimp has the
dependency on librsvg already.

I suppose that the use of rast in librsvg made them hard to integrate
the svg loader in pixbuf.

adr