using gas/gld from devel/binutils

I have a very weird problem using gcc with gas/gld from binutils.

Is using gas from devel/binutils supposed/known to work on NetBSD?
Is using gld from devel/binutils supposed/known to work on NetBSD?

On NetBSD-6 (don't ask), when compiling archivers/zstd, lang/gcc[678] emits
.S the native (binutils 2.22.1) as doesn't understand (sh[lr]x and tzcntl).

So, following what Makfile does on Solaris if no suitable assembler is found,
I tried to build lang/gcc8 using gas from devel/binutils.
That gives an internal error during linking.
So I tried to build using both gas and gld from devel/binutils.
That gives a SIGSEV during stage2 (if I remember correctly), which is a
nil pointer reference in etc_set_father() calling et_splay(rmost) with
rmost being NULL.
Now GCC is a weird beast, but not being able to compile itself would be
a rather strange thing.

So I'm inclined to suppose that's either a gas or gld problem, either because
gas/gld from binutils don't work corretly at all, or building lang/gcc*
patched to use devel/binutils doesn't work or doesn't work with specific
binutils versions.

I can't think of anything else because it happens both on NetBSD-6 and -8.

Any hints? Is using gas from devel/binutils for lang/gcc[678] known to work
on Solaris?