Re: databases/py-sqlite3 build on RHEL 7 fails without C99

On 05/04, Greg Troxel wrote:
> It sounds to me like sqlite3 does in fact need C99, and it only happens
> to build everywhere else because...  in 2023, C99 is the default
> assumption compilers make about C.
>
> So I'll apply Lewis's change in 24h if there are no objections.

Thanks!  Although, I just saw now at

  https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/fixes.html

that it says in 21.4.1. C, C++, and Fortran:

  Language variants like c++11 for USE_LANGUAGES should only be
  specified if the package does not explicitly set -std=... when
  compiling (i.e. the package assumes the compiler defaults to C++11
  or some other standard). This is usually a bug in the upstream build
  system.

So, maybe I should report it to upstream?  Or for something like this
that is not an actual patch to the upstream source code, reporting to
upstream is not needed?  (I of course would rather not take the time to
report it to upstream, but if that's the recommended approach, I would.)
But then again, upstream is Python, I think, because this module is
normally built into Python as of version 2.5, so maybe they wouldn't
approve of this split and consider it nonstandard, thus decreasing the
chance of them viewing a bug report from me in a good light.

Thanks!

Lewis