Re: polyml

ppadilcdx%gmail.com@localhost writes:

> I'm a newbie with pkgsrc, using it on macos to compile from source.
> Working great so far.  I have a request/question.  Polyml is at
> version 5.9 and was wondering what is the process to get a pkg
> updated, i.e. if there is a current maintainer? Or do I dig into the
> pkgsrc developer's guide?

Welcome to pkgsrc.  Our usual plan is to try to turn users into
contributors.  So yes:

  have a look at the guide (which is for users and developers)

  get the sources

  read the Makefile for polyml to find a MAINTAINER field

  if a person (vs pkgsrc-users), feel free to email them.  Don't be
  surprised at any of
    1) thanks, but not updating because FOO
    2) thanks, will try to do it
    3) no answer
    4) bounce

  If that doesn't result in an update, you are welcome to create an
  updated version, and many pkgsrc people prefer that you do that in
  pkgsrc-wip because it's easy to deal with (vs mailing diffs).

  Sometimes doing an update is easy (when upstream has no structural
  changes), and sometimes it is not (e.g. when upstream changes from
  autoconf to cmake and adds dependencies not already in pkgsrc).