Re: libspatialite fails to build on netbsd-9

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 09:43:52AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> checking for strerror... (cached) yes
> checking for sqlite3_prepare_v2 in -lsqlite3... yes
> checking for inflateInit_ in -lz... yes
> checking for sqlite3_rtree_query_callback in -lsqlite3... no
> configure: error: obsolete 'libsqlite3' (< v.3.8.5). please retry specifying: --disable-knn
> *** Error code 1
>
> I do have sqlite3-3.40.1 installed.
>
> I built libspatialite-4.3.0anb19 on February 13 (my tree was out of date
> probably).
>
> This seems like fallout from the update to 5, and may be as simple as
> needing an API requirement for sqlite3.

Kind of, but I'm not sure what version to require.

3.8.5 it's not since even NetBSD 9 has 3.26.0.

Looking in config.log you'll see that it checks for sqlite3 with rtree
enabled.

In the NetBSD base system this was enabled in 2020/10 by Nia:
"sqlite3: Turn on extensions that default-on using the configure script"

but NetBSD 9 has the last commit before that, so it's not enabled there.

pkgsrc sqlite3 still has an rtree option for turning this on, but even
with it disabled (as it is by default) and despite upstream claiming
that this is disabled by default, rtree support is compiled in.

So at some point in the past sqlite3 switched to default-on rtree and
we need a version with that.

When nia made that commit in 2020/10, sqlite3 in pkgsrc was at 3.33.0,
so probably we can require that (but it might be newer than
needed). On the other hand, that version has been in pkgsrc for two
years now, so I guess we can use that.

Perhaps nia@ has a better estimate when these options (in particular
rtree) might have been turned default-on in pkgsrc. Anyway, we can't
go as low as 3.26 because that would allow NetBSD 9's version that
doesn't support rtree.

Comments?
 Thomas