Re: pbulk out of memory - llvm

Do you know any fine tuning to avoid out of memory situation at
bulkbuild?

My build stops here (devel/llvm):

[ 36%] Building CXX object
lib/Passes/CMakeFiles/LLVMPasses.dir/PassBuilder.cpp.o

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 6998400 bytes after a total of
7346080 bytes
*** Error code 1

I'd assume ~8GB of RAM + 8 GB of swap space should be enough.

Yes, that should be plenty.  But it's possible that this isn't
the limit you are bumping into.

NOTE: I've set these limits in pbulk.conf according to the pbulk
documentation:
ulimit -t 1800 # set the limit on CPU time (in seconds)
ulimit -v 2097152 # limits process address space

Doesn't that limit your per-process virtual memory to 2GB?  If
so, you could try bumping that to e.g. 3 or 4GB.  2GB might be a
bit low for amd64, although I think we manage to build llvm on
armv7hf where the arch-imposed VM is slightly below 2GB (but then
again that's an ilp32 platform (int/long/pointer is 32 bits) so
is a bit more space-efficient compared to the lp64 for amd64, and
we also limit the list of targets we build for on the armv7
platform to make it just about succeed).

Regards,

- Håvard

That worked, thank you!

FeZ