Re: python 3.7 problems

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 01:39:56PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Well, that is of course an option, to keep a version of
> py-setuptools_scm around that doesn't depend on py-importlib-metadata
> (or the other way round? whose "fault" is it?).
>
> But I don't think it's worth our collective time to do this, since in
> 9 months 3.7 will be EOL anyway and we have 4 (soon 5) other python
> versions in pkgsrc...

IMO it provides more value to pkgsrc to keep 3.7 until it's EOL
than it does to have a bleeding edge version of setuptools_scm,
but there's discussion to be had about whether we provide
multiple Python versions to provide long term support and testing
opportunities to users, or just to serve the transition period.

The gradual increase in PYTHON_SELF_CONFLICT packages hasn't
really helped the former use case :-/