Re: xentools415

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 03:14:25PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> xentools415 is troubled on 2022Q2, with
>>
>>  - the do-install/do-build duplication
>
> which seems harmless

On the branch, if the package builds ok, which it seems to, it's not a
big deal.

In general, it's not ok -- people expect not to get warnings, and we
shouldn't condition everyone to ignore them.  And, warnings are often a
sign of bugs.  In this case, the warning is saying that there are two
definitions and only one is in effect.

As I read the twisty maze of mk, it's because the do-install from the
Makefile wins, and the do-install from extension.mk is not executed.
Further, extension.mk's do-install target changes into $PYSETUPDIR,
which is in this case all of
  tools/pygrub
  tools/python
tools/python in this case, but that's not defined, so it
wouldn't work anyway.  Plus there is
  tools/python/qemu-xen/dtc/pylibfdt
not built by our build (I'm not saying this is incorrect).

Both pygrub and python are built and installed, and looking at the build
output, xentool's build calls those setup.py for build and installed.

Probably extension.mk should grow a variable that declares that the
package build system takes care of the build/install.

Also, I think there's a bug in make

  $ bmake show-vars VARNAMES=PYSETUPDIR
  bmake: "/home/n0/gdt/pkgsrc-current/pkgsrc/lang/python/extension.mk" line 35: warning: duplicate script for target "do-build" ignored
  bmake: "/home/n0/gdt/pkgsrc-current/pkgsrc/lang/python/extension.mk" line 167: warning: using previous script for "do-build" defined here
  bmake: "/home/n0/gdt/pkgsrc-current/pkgsrc/lang/python/extension.mk" line 39: warning: duplicate script for target "do-install" ignored
  bmake: "/home/n0/gdt/pkgsrc-current/pkgsrc/lang/python/extension.mk" line 171: warning: using previous script for "do-install" defined here

the "previous script"s are in fact in Makefile.  That's both with
netbsd-9 make and bmake-20200524nb1.