upgrading/replacing devel/py27-setuptools (and esp other python things)

So I've been trying to use pkg_rolling-replace to upgrade packages on a
system with a rather old install -- and then use the resulting binary
packages to upgrade other systems that were initially installed from the
old binaries from this system.

Many hiccups are simple enough to deal with, e.g. long gone packages
(especially when I don't care to have them any more) (though they're
terribly annoying to have to deal with given pkg_rolling-replace's
rather slow pace at figuring out what it wants to do next, and without
any way to easily report in one group all the things it will run into
trouble over)

However things that effectively get renamed when upgrading are not dealt
with at all gracefully by pkg_rolling-replace:

RR> Selecting py27-setuptools (devel/py-setuptools) as next package to replace
RR> Checking if py27-setuptools has new depends...
/usr/bin/awk: unknown option -expat-[0-9]*:../../textproc/py-expat ignored

/usr/bin/awk: unknown option -expat-[0-9]*:../../textproc/py-expat ignored

RR> py27-setuptools has the following new depends (need to re-tsort):
rr> [cwrappers => -expat]
RR> Tsorting dependency graph
RR> Selecting py27-setuptools (devel/py-setuptools) as next package to replace
RR> Replacing py27-setuptools-40.6.2
===> Cleaning for -setuptools-60.9.3
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: No valid Python version
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /work/woods/m-NetBSD-pkgsrc-current/devel/py-setuptools
*** 'make replace' failed for package py27-setuptools.
*** Please read the errors listed above, fix the problem,
*** then re-run pkg_rolling-replace to continue.

Note this:

	$ make -v PYPKGPREFIX
	py39

So, I was wondering what people normally do in cases like this.

I could just blow away all the packages needing this and then start
fresh with the current PYPKGPREFIX, but again pkg_rolling-replace isn't
very good at dealing with packages that have to upgrade/replace
dependencies it hasn't already accounted for.

Also, what should I expect to have to do when using the new binary
packages with "pkgin".  I don't expect "pkgin fug" to work very well on
its own either, though perhaps it will do better than I expect.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>