curl 7.81 - configure failure on macOS

Hi all,

I'm in the process of a pkg_rr update to pkgsrc HEAD on macOS 10.15 and
experiencing a configure failure with curl 7.81:

---
dyld: Symbol not found: _iconv
  Referenced from: /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib
  Expected in: /opt/pkg/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
 in /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib
---

Full config.log: http://dl.rsx11.net/misc/curl-7.81-config.log

I see that MacPorts had the same issue[1], caused by a recent commit
to curl. The issue references a curl patch that seems to fix the issue
for others but my pkgsrc build still fails with the same error even
after applying the patch.

Note that the patch won't apply cleanly to 7.81 as it has a dependency
on an earlier patch that's not in 7.81 (a quick and dirty approach
would be to use m4/curl-functions.m4 from the master branch).

Any thoughts?

[1] https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/8229

Cheers, MJ
--