GCC on SunOS < 2.11, require new Binutils?

Hi,

Given GCC being quite a central component, thought I post a message here
for discussion instead of filing a GNATS issue.

On SunOS variants the GCC package tries to use objdump and gas from
/usr/sfw/bin if they exist, which they do on older Solaris installs.

These utilities are now rather old and for gas, does not support all
instructions used by modern software on x86_64 such as openssl.

The package falls back to using full binutils dependency if it can't
find the required tools, I do however suggest doing this by default
on $OS_VARIANT = "Solaris" && ($OS_VERSION != "5.11"

This needs #56493 to be resolved to be able to compile GCC using the
old GCC shipped with the system.

Makes sense?

--
Claes Nästén