Re: Bulkbuild and PKG_OPTIONS

manphiz <manphiz%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have been trying to get familiar with NetBSD (currently in an AMD64
> VM) and would like to install it on my Yeeloong netbook (with loongson
> 2f CPU) later.  AIUI mips64el doesn't have a regularly built package set
> available so I'm trying to get familiar with pkgsrc and bulkbuild.

Great, and welcome.

> One problem I'm facing is that the Emacs (more specifically
> emacs27-nox11) I built using bulkbuild doesn't seem to have gnutls
> support enabled and it fails to connect to melpa.org through HTTPS.  I
> cannot use HTTP either as the website has been redirecting HTTP to HTTPS
> for a while.  My bulkbuild set up is based on this wiki page[1], and I'm
> having trouble to figure out how to properly set PKG_OPTIONS.  I have
> tried to add "PKG_OPTIONS.emacs27-nox11+= gnutls jansson xml" in
> /usr/pbulk/etc/mk.conf or /etc/mkconf (all path in sandbox chroot)
> but the resulting package seemed to ignore those settings.

In emacs27-nox11, "make show-options" shows none.  Looking at emacs27:

$ /usr/pkgsrc/editors > egrep gnutls emacs27*/*

emacs27/PLIST:info/emacs-gnutls.info.gz
emacs27/PLIST:share/emacs/${PKGVERSION}/lisp/net/gnutls.el.gz
emacs27/PLIST:share/emacs/${PKGVERSION}/lisp/net/gnutls.elc
emacs27/options.mk:PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=                       dbus gnutls imagemagick jansson svg xaw3d xml
emacs27/options.mk:PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS=       dbus gnutls gtk3 jansson xml x11
emacs27/options.mk:### Support gnutls
emacs27/options.mk:.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mgnutls)
emacs27/options.mk:.include "../../security/gnutls/buildlink3.mk"
emacs27/options.mk:CONFIGURE_ARGS+=     --without-gnutls

So two thoughts:

  if you really need the gnutls option, perhaps use emacs27 and put up
  with the xbloat.  Or patch the source.  I don't know why that option
  isn't in both, as nox11 shouldn't really imply not gnutls, but it is
  sort of "minimal" at the same time.

  sometimes emacs things use external gnutls helper program.  I have a
  system with eamcs26-nox11 that does IMAP over TLS that way, without
  any gnutls option in emacs.