Re: Recently committed rust 1.54.0 update breaks building librsvg on AArch64

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:51:34AM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:03:42 +0000
> nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Build log:
> > http://victory.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/packages/reports/2021Q3/evbarm64-9.0/20210920.1952/librsvg-2.50.7/install.log
> >
> > Some hints here:
> >
> > https://github.com/lovell/sharp-libvips/issues/109
> >
> > I don't think this is an easy fix and the rust package should probably
> > be downgraded.
>
> Maybe we can revert this change with a pkgsrc patch?
>
> https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-builtins/commit/96bc62e669403a82a1becfc7863bdc17f7317d68
>
> I will try and see how it goes.

Or update to a pre release version of rustc, like libvips did ;-}

Classic example of rust as a ... suboptimal choice for an
implementation language (or at least the rustc project as a disaster
choice for a compiler provider).

Maybe instead we should just downgrade to 1.53 and create a rule to not
update rust before a firefox release that requires a new version is in
pkgsrc (or in preparation for that, to avoid chicken vs. egg problems).

Martin