Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Will OpenSSL 1.1l be back ported to 2021Q2?

"Morgan, Iain (ARC-TN)[InuTeq, LLC]" <iain.morgan%nasa.gov@localhost> writes:

> Thanks for the response. I was suspecting that the delay between when
> I sent the message and when it appeared on the mailing list
> (presumably due to greylisting somewhere) was complicating matters.

I saw your first message a week or so ago.....

> I had been contemplating something similar to what you suggested,
> except that I'm using git rather than cvs. But, I was waiting to see
> if there would be an official backport.

I would expect you could cherry-pick the update then.  I have been using
cvs since I commit from it -- and because I don't really find it
problematic for most pkgsrc use.

> I'll give it a try and reply to the list with my results. Since it's
> just a change from 1.1k to 1.1.l I am (perhaps naively) assuming that
> nothing should break.

I think that's likely a correct assumption.  But when a developer
submits a pullup, they are responsible for it not breaking anything, and
that's a high bar.

> And, I agree with you; it would be great if there was an easier way
> for governmental organizations to support the open source
> community.

It's quite easy -- they could just make donations that are commensurate
with what the license fees would have been.  And if that's not allowed,
they shouldn't be allowed to buy proprietary softwarea licenses.  That's
my official taxpayer opinion!

> Having said that, I am obligated to say that any statements are solely
> my own opinion and do not represent NASA.

:-)  Somehow I did not guess that did...