Re: default mysql -> mariadb

On 05/26, nia wrote:
> Hello, I'm curious what people's thoughts are on making the default
> MySQL implementation MariaDB. Obviously MySQL would still be avaialble
> as an option. As far as I'm aware a few people are already using
> MariaDB successfully on NetBSD, but I'd like to hear some more reports
> in and we should get it working on SunOS too.

What does changing the default implementation mean?  My first impression
is that it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  If I want a MySQL
client or server, I would install the databases/mysql-client or
databases/mysql-server package, respectively.  (I understand that
those packages don't currently exist, but I'm just saying what I
would naturally do.)  I would not expect that doing that would
actually install a MariaDB client or server.  If I want a MariaDB
client or server, I would install the databases/mariadb-client or
databases/mariadb-server package, respectively.  (I understand that
those packages don't currently exist, but I'm just saying what I would
naturally do.)  It's true that MariaDB started out with the intention of
being a drop-in replacement for MySQL, but they have many implementation
differences now, and even if they didn't, they're still different
projects, so that would feel confusing to me to get MariaDB if I asked
for MySQL.

Lewis