Re: Perpetual loop

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2021-03-31 at 08:53 BST, nia wrote:
>
>>If pkgsrc is trying to build gcc3 something is very wrong, this basically
>>means it couldn't find a toolchain.
>
> At this point in time we should probably just make this more explicit.
> Rip out gcc48 and earlier, and convert the GCC_REQD 2.x/3.x stuff into
> a "could not find host compiler" error.

(I have no problem with the 'needing gcc3 is a sign of very bad things' notion.)

I think it would be good to avoid breaking pkgsrc on systems that are
really old but not quite ancient.  I draw the line at netbsd-5 which has
gcc 4.1.  Yes, that's really crufty, but a lot of things build, and
while pkgsrc does not "support" such a system, I'd like to avoid moving
it to "completely fails".