re: coreutils and GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX

Jonathan Perkin writes:
> * On 2021-02-04 at 01:26 GMT, matthew green wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Perkin writes:

> > > At this point, no.  PKGGNUDIR is entrenched across pkgsrc, and many of
> > > us rely on it to be specific about which utilities we want our target
> > > users to have by default.
> > >
> > > For this particular case I'd suggest moving idutils to its own bin
> > > prefix to avoid the conflict.
> >
> > this doesn't affect PKGGNUDIR does it?  that's what ends
> > up being /usr/pkg/gnu/bin/, and i'm not asking for any
> > change to what is installed there.
>
> It would for those of us like me who set PKGGNUDIR=, i.e. empty so
> that they are installed into /usr/pkg/bin, making GNU tools the
> default.
>
> I set this for every single one of the builds I publish.

i'm not suggesting that anything *by default* change, only
that GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX be revived as an optional feature.
i'm not sure how this can break your setup.

i'm willing to maintain breakage related to this, since i'm
likely to be one of the few affected by it (ie, this will
mostly just work for most, until something breaking for me
is introduced.)

.mrg.