Re: Debian packagers also struggle with many dependencies

* On 2021-01-22 at 13:30 GMT, Rhialto wrote:

> An interesting article on LWN. If they come up with some solution (but
> so far it doesn't look like it) this could be useful for pkgsrc too.

I don't see there being any possible solution.  Something like
www/grafana has over 2,000 dependencies and growing.  Trying to manage
them separately would be utterly impossible.

The only way is to bundle them all statically into each build, as
we're doing for both Go modules and Rust crates.

To be honest, while I really don't like it, especially when you end up
with crazy things like 70+ different versions of the golang.org/x/sys
module for just one package, it is relatively cleanly implemented in
pkgsrc, and you do end up with a single binary in a single package at
the end that does just work.

And hey, we did get an improved checksum script out of it ;)