Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

    Date:        Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:01:08 +0100
    From:        Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | The change is documented here:
  |
  | http://pkgsrc.org/news/pkgdb-change/

I have been using ${PREFIX}/db now for years, on regular NetBSD.
(It seemed, still seems, kind of silly to have /usr/pkg/pkgdb
as the location - with "pkg" in there twice ... but that is not
important).

To make that work (aside from moving from /var/db) all that was
needed was to put

	PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/db

in /etc/pkg_install.conf  (that's all I have in that file).

With that, the standard tools, of any reasonable vintage, simply work,
and so there's no need to force the use of the pkgsrc version of the
pkg_* tools.   This is a much simpler upgrade path for most
users than waiting upon an upgrade for their release (I don't
see one coming any time soon for NetBSD 6!)

kre