Re: pkg_delete all dependant packages recursively

On 03/11/2020 11:11, Frank Wille wrote:
Mike Pumford wrote:

How about
pkg_delete -r perl
pkg_delete perl

Man page suggests that will do exactly what you want.

That would be too easy! ;)

Seems I have serious problems. I tried it like you said, after experimenting
with pkg_rolling-replace first, and most packages were not correctly
deleted, because of MD5 checksum errors or simply "Couldn't remove...".

Ah pkg_rolling_replace can leave things in a scrambled state if it doesn't complete successfully. You might be able to use pkg_admin to put the db back together.

I guess I have to start from scratch. :|

This is probably best. I know how painful that can be if your system is not quick at building pkgsrc. :(.

I actually recreate the build sandbox for my binary package builds from scratch for every build. It takes a lot longer but guarantees no mismatches unless I happen to catch the pkgsrc tree in an inconsistent state (Which is rare). This means my build system spends 10 hours a week building packages for 9.1-STABLE-amd64 and 8.2-STABLE-amd64. However it is all automated so all I have to do is check that the builds workd and run pkgin to get the new packages.

I'm mulling working out a way of pulling in unchanged packages from the previous build to speed things up but not spent any time on doing it yet ;)

I switched to this having had to clean up one too many broken systems left by pkg_rolling_replace runs. Only time I've ever had an issue with this approach is when a failing disk was causing the pkgin and pkg dbs not to be written correctly.

Mike