Re: When should one send a PR and when not?

John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> writes:

>      My point here, is that sometimes (not very often), the reason
> why something doesn't compile out of the box is due to a NetBSD
> bug.  I feel that patching applications in pkgsrc and not bothering
> upstream (especially since it has been fixed in -current) is
> appropriate for these situations.

Fair enough.  But then we should file a PR about NetBSD and fix it.
Also totally fine to fix pkgsrc for this case, or file a PR, once
understood.

The other 99% of the time, ti's fair to ask upstream.

It's great to actually patch things in pkgsrc to fix upsrteam issues.  I
was only suggesting that filing "this package doesn't build so pkgsrc
has a bug", without checking if it's a packaging bug, leads to noise.