rust on linux/sparc64

Hi,

I am trying to compile a few pkgsrc packages on linux/sparc64 with
pkgsrc-2020Q2.

pkgsrc does not allow building lang/rust for sparc64 on linux.
Possibly missing is a bootstrap compiler.
However i have a rustc compiler version 1.46.0 on this system provided
by the distribution.

This has led me to the following questions:

Is there a possibility to compile packages requiring rust with the
external rust compiler? If so, how would I do this?

- or -

Can't the external rust compiler be used to bootstrap the pkgsrc rust
compiler and proceed from there within the pgksrc environment?

Regards,
Connor