Duplicate emails, was: What am I doing wrong here?

On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 08:46, Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2020 20:28:09 -0700
> Ellenor Bjornsdottir <ellenor%umbrellix.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Or people can actually start adopting best practices. Fix the root
> > cause, not the symptom.
>
> Have a look at this:
> http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html
>
> "Deliberately replying only to one list and cutting others out of the
> discussion is considered to be extremely rude by some people. When they
> eventually find out."
>
> What is also extremely rude - ordering people that they cease
> something at once, when they have done nothing wrong and are following
> established practices.
>
> You should fix your mail handling software to automatically remove
> duplicates. Otherwise, setup free Gmail account, it does it all for you.

A couple of considerations:

1) Mailman has the option (through web interface) not to receive
duplicates of your emails to/from the list. Majordomo (at least NetBSD
and OpenBSD) doesn't seem to offer this option.

2) I have to manually adjust the "To:" to the list because, otherwise,
some people (not only the OP) receive 3 copies of my messages. I stil
haven't figured out what causes this and how to fix it. I've noticed
that this doesn't happen on mailing lists using Mailman. The FreeBSD
mailing lists rewrite my "From:" header to:

"Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions%freebsd.org@localhost>"

My feeling is that old school, RFC-compliant mailing list software,
like mailman, designed for people who use mail(1) or  mutt(1) through
their own mail server on localhost, doesn't go along well with modern
webmail. It's just a feeling, I cannot prove it. I'm probably talking
rubbish. Apologies.

--
Ottavio Caruso