Re: Meson default pkgconfig directory on FreeBSD

Frédéric Fauberteau <triaxx%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> pkg_create: can't stat `/var/cache/pkgsrc/work/graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/gdk-pixbuf-2.0.pc'
> => Checking file-check results for gdk-pixbuf2-2.40.0nb1
> ERROR: ************************************************************
> ERROR: The following files are in the PLIST but not in /var/cache/pkgsrc/work/graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/work/.destdir/usr/pkg:
> ERROR:         /var/cache/pkgsrc/work/graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/gdk-pixbuf-2.0.pc
> ERROR: ************************************************************
> ERROR: The following files are in /var/cache/pkgsrc/work/graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/work/.destdir/usr/pkg but not in the PLIST:
> ERROR:         /var/cache/pkgsrc/work/graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/libdata/pkgconfig/gdk-pixbuf-2.0.pc
> *** Error code 1
>
> It seems that meson changes the default pkgconfig directory to $(PREFIX)/libdata/pkgconfig: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/4410

In general, we have the problem that on each operating system there is a
native notion of the equivalent of hier(7) (or equivalently, Linux FHS).
In pkgsrc, we have a standardized notion, and packages are supposed to
adjust builds to meet pkgsrc norms, on all platforms.

We end up fighting with build systems that encode OS-specific decisions.
I wonder if the libdata/pkgconfig convention is FreeBSD native, or
FreeBSD ports, and if there is "ifdef FreeBSD, do this" code in the
meson control files, specifically for gdk-pixbuf2.

I also wonder if the gdk-pixbuf2 package doesn't have a
--pkgconfigdir=lib/pkgconfig (to use autoconf syntax) argument to meson,
while the others do.