Re: openssl 1.1.1e and comms/kermit

On Mon 06 Apr 2020 at 11:34:05 +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 11:28:35AM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> > I find myself compiling comms/kermit with the ssl option (because I have
> > PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS += tls ssl) and it no longer compiles.
> >
> > There are patches for ssl already, but they seem to need some
> > refreshing. I've put the exact errors I get below, but it seems to be
> > mostly about deprecated types/functions. Is there any guidance somewhere
> > on how to modernize openssl client programs?
>
> google has some options, e.g. this one:
>
> http://vega.pgw.jp/~kabe/vsd/migrate2openssl-1.1.html
>
> It's mostly mechanical but errors might have security impact, so you
> should take care.

I find that it tries to manage by itself the differences between SSL and
TLS, and has lots of code to try it both ways... while the current
openssl library (as I understand it) has a single method to try that
automatically (using SSLv23_client_method() or SSLv23_server_method()).
This is a bit of a mess, I get the urge to throw out all that duplicate
code. But I only half (at most) know what I'm doing...

>  Thomas
-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on