Re: Seek suggestion on choice of TeXLive on Linux

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 11:15, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> I have a Ubuntu Linux system where I installed TeXLive from the system's
> binary repository.
>
> When it came to installing additional packages, the `tlmgr' package
> manager insisted on installing it in `user mode' i.e. in user's home
> directory. Did not find any option to change this behavior if I want it
> system wide.
>
> Did a web search and found no method to make a routine system wide
> installation of packages.
>
> Thought of installing directly from texlive archive, but noticed that the
> installation page already threatens with the statement: "Indeed, we
> recommend installing it as a normal user"
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html
>
> I can understand their giving a choice to install as normal user, but why
> close down the option of system level installation totally baffles me.
>
> I'd probably switch to pkgsrc just to get the choice of system-wide
> installation.
>
> Any other comments or suggestions?

Well, under NetBSD I have

 pkg_info | egrep texlive\|TeX | wc -l
     417

with all the usual editors and recommended fonts; other than perhaps
some delay in getting the latest upgrades into pkgsrc, I don't see a
problem.

You also don't lose the option for user install, ofcourse, but with
pkgsrc you will have a known baseline.  I just
meta-pkgs/texlive-collection-all and  the editors.

> Mayuresh

Chavdar

--
----